Essential SEO Advise from Google
Some very insightful SEO information posted via video yesterday on the Google Developer’s Blog.
Although the information is geared for “start up’s”, I think it’s applicable to any local business with websites <50 pages. I share much of this information during our local Internet Marketing seminars, but here it is right from the source!
- Set-up a 301 (permanent) redirect of your “www”.
- Verify your website ownership in Google webmaster tools.
- Include analytics within your sites code.
- Create a great user experience with good site design – it should be built to convert and pages should be relevant to their specific topics
- Define each pages goal (or conversion) – like a “call to action” for each page. Form submissions, calls, purchases or some sort of action is important, without it these pages have no direction.
- Be “smart” about your page copy – use language and terms that are relevant.
- Each page should also have a unique title tag and meta description.
- Descriptive Anchor Text on these pages should be correctly set-up.
- Fast load times are also important.
- Participation within social media is important – and focus your energy where your audience “hangs out”.
- Don’t hire “shady” SEO firms that make false or questionable claims!